How do I get a boating licence in Spain?

If you want to know how to get a boating licence in Spain, you've come to the right place. This article will tell you all the steps you need to take, from obtaining a Basic Navigation Pattern (PNB) to getting an ICC (International Certificate of Competence). You'll also learn about taxes, hiring a captain, and where to find a boating licence in Spain.

Basic Navigation Pattern (PNB)

If you're looking to obtain a boating licence in Spain, you need to consider the different types available. You can get a Boat Navigation Licence, Recreational Craft Pattern, or a Basic Navigation Pattern. Each one is valid for different sizes of boats.

A Recreational Craft Pattern allows you to sail a small vessel up to 15 metres in length. To get this type of licence, you must complete a short-range radio operator course, and perform navigation exercises. You'll also need to pass a theoretical exam. The exam will cover boating safety and maritime traffic regulations.

A Basic Navigation Pattern (PNB) is the introductory level of boating qualifications. It is designed for those who are interested in sailing small boats and can only be used on trips near the coast. In order to obtain this certificate, you must complete 16 hours of practice. They include a practice on a nearby beach, and two hours of theory. During the theory hours, you'll be taught the practical substance of the course.

When you're ready to take the Practical Exam, you'll need to show that you know how to navigate a boat in Spain. The exam is short and will test your navigation skills.

Alternatively, you can take a boating licence course. These courses are available to all nationalities, and are suitable for beginners. They're taught in small groups and will provide you with basic boating skills.

You can take a course at a sailing school. Some schools offer courses for sailors who want to learn how to become captains. For instance, you can study at Escola Port Barcelona. There, you'll get a boating licence for both motor and sailboats.

The Spanish Boating Licence is a course available to Spanish residents, foreigners living in Spain, and those visiting the country. If you're a Spanish resident, you can take the course as a prerequisite for getting a Basic Navigation Pattern. However, you're not required to take the course if you're from another European country.

Obtaining a boating licence is a great way to explore the coastlines of Spain. With a licence, you can navigate your own boat or use a rented one.

ICC (International Certificate of Competence)

An International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is an internationally recognised proof of competence that allows people to boat in coastal waters. It is not a replacement for national qualifications. However, it does provide a documentary guarantee of competence from one government to another.

To obtain an ICC, candidates must pass a theory and a practical exam in an accredited ICC test centre. The test centre must be approved by the RYA, IYT, or British Sub-Aqua Club, and is subject to inspection.

The size of a vessel is also a factor. If you are sailing a boat that is over 15 metres, you must have a skipper’s licence. Boats under 6 metres do not require a boating licence.

While there is no specific limit on the size of a vessel, it is usually determined by the authorities of the country being visited. This is particularly true for smaller boats. In addition, countries visited may restrict the type of boat you can take to their ports, or the distance offshore.

For example, in the UK, if you want to go out sailing on a yacht in the Mediterranean, you will need to obtain an ICC. If you plan on chartering your yacht, the charter company should inform you of any requirements. Typically, ICCs are accepted by most countries along the Mediterranean waterway.

ICCs are issued by the RYA on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency in the UK. A RYA ICC can be obtained by bona fide British residents, and by people from any other UNECE member state. ICCs are also recognized by the United Nations.

You can also get an ICC by taking an IYT training course. These courses are held at IYT schools. During the course, students are expected to have their own boats. After the two-week course, they can opt to take an ICC test. Alternatively, they can pay to sit the exam on site.

The ICC is issued under UNECE Resolution 40. It details the minimum standards for navigation, pilotage, regulatory and technical competence. The level of testable competence is not to the standard of the ICC.

Hire a skipper/captain

If you want to go boating in Spain, you need to have a licence. There are five different types of licences you can get. These include the Basic Navigation Skipper, the Patron de Embarcaciones de Recreo, the Recreational Boat Licence, the ICC (International Certificate of Pleasure Craft) and the Yacht Skipper. You need to choose the right one.

The Patron of Recreational Boats is the most common nautical qualification. You don’t have to have had a previous boating licence to obtain this certificate. However, you should take note that not all countries accept it. In fact, Portugal, Greece, and Spain are some who don’t.

Another licence is the ICC (International Certificate of Pleasure craft). This is a type of boating licence that proves the holder has had a formal training that includes first aid.

For a bareboat charter, most European countries require you to have an ICC. Not all nations accept this certificate, however, so you should check before you set out on your boating adventure.

The ICC has several benefits. First of all, it confirms that you have had formal training that meets UN requirements. Second, it can be used to sail in many countries across the world. Third, it can be translated into English.

Lastly, it can be used to travel between the Balearic and Canary Islands and is a requirement for a bareboat charter in most Mediterranean nations.

A boating licence is not only important if you plan on hiring a captain, but it can also save you money in the long run. For instance, you can skip buying meals on land and cook your own food on board. Also, you can spend more time enjoying the ocean rather than wasting it on maintenance and repairs.

Although it may be tempting to rent a boat without a licence, it is not advisable. Not only will you be breaking the law, but you might also endanger your crew. So it is best to navigate the waters of Spain with a skipper.

Taxes on boating in Spain

If you're thinking about buying a boat in Spain, it's important to learn about the different taxes that may apply. Boats and yachts have been subject to some very high taxes over the years. This has resulted in Spanish Tax Authorities targeting these vessels.

You will also need to pay a matriculation tax for your boat in Spain. This tax is 12% of the value of your vessel. The tax applies to both foreign and Spanish residents. However, non-Spanish residents who are from EU countries will be exempt from paying this tax.

You should be aware of all taxes for boating in Spain before you buy a new or second hand boat. The information here is not intended to be comprehensive. In some cases, you will be required to provide proof of residence in your home country.

You should ask for the name of the superior office for obtaining details on this tax. You should also ask about any regulations that may affect the sale.

When you purchase a second hand boat in Spain, you will also have to pay a 4% tax. This tax is usually paid to the regional tax office.

If you're planning to live in Spain for more than 182 days, you will need to apply for a residence card. If you do, you will be able to avoid the matriculation tax. However, if you live in Spain for less than 180 days, you will still be liable to pay the 12% matriculation tax.

Another tax you might need to be aware of is the wealth tax. It is a national law and is imposed on foreigners who have lived in Spain for more than 180 days. Depending on your income, you may be liable to pay this tax.

Before buying a boat in Spain and set sail with it, you should make sure you have the proper documentation and are qualified to do so. It is also possible that you will need to provide evidence of competence as a skipper.

Finally, remember to ask for any re-registration requirements. If you live in Spain for more than six months, you cannot sell your boat before this period is up.