How to import your car from an EU country into Spain

Having a car is a great way to travel, but when you live in a European country and you want to bring your car to Spain, there are some things you need to take into consideration. You'll need a temporary number plate, which will cost you around 40 euros, registration tax (about 50 euros) and a technical inspection (about 15 euros). After that, you can drive your vehicle in Spain.

Temporary number plate

Whether you're planning to import your car into Spain from an EU country or just want to use it for a few months, there are a number of things you should know before you get started. There are several different types of license plates available to foreigners. Depending on what kind of vehicle you're importing, the costs can vary greatly.

The first thing to do is get a European Certificate of Conformity. This certificate is a legal document that certifies that your vehicle meets the necessary standards for driving in Spain. You can get one from your car dealer in Spain, or from your car's manufacturer.

Once you've received your European Certificate of Conformity, you'll need to register your vehicle. If you don't have the necessary paperwork, your car could be impounded or you could be fined.

You'll also need to have an international driving licence. This will allow you to drive in Spain while you wait for your car to be registered. An international driving licence can be obtained very easily and inexpensively. It will be issued by the relevant authority in your home country, and is valid for a year.

In addition to an international driving licence, you'll need a national driving licence. You'll have to have proof of insurance, and you'll have to make sure your car is insured in the country that you're importing it from. If you don't have the right paperwork, you'll be fined, your car's insurance will be void, and your car could be impounded.

If you're looking to import your car into Spain, you'll also need to make sure it has a valid MOT and that you have (in the case of a rental car) a rental agreement for at least a year. If you don't have an international driving licence you'll need a temporary green number plate to drive your car while it's being registered.

Lastly, you'll have to pay local taxes on your imported car. They are collected at your local town hall, and they help to keep your car on the road.

Technical inspection

Bringing a car into Spain from a European Union country requires a technical inspection. The process may involve taxes, customs duty and registration fees. A certified mechanic checks the exterior, chassis and suspension of the vehicle. The brakes and tyres are also checked.

The car will receive a Certificate of Conformity, also known as a CoC, from the manufacturer. This is required for all imported cars. You will also be required to have proof of having paid the import tax.

The test is carried out on the foreign registered vehicle by an ITV testing station. The ITV tests aim to improve road safety. In addition to reducing the risk of accidents, the test will verify that the vehicle meets the standards of driving in Spain.

The ITV test will vary depending on the size and model of the vehicle. The tests are conducted at authorised garages. You can find the nearest ITV testing station online.

Once the test has been completed, the vehicle will be issued a Technical Test Certificate Card. The card will give you a clear idea of any faults that were found. If a fault is serious, the vehicle cannot be driven away. During the inspection, the testing mechanic will give you instructions. You will then have one month to resolve the problem(s).

When importing a car, you must pay VAT and import tax. This will be calculated on the cost of the new car. This is the same tax you pay when you purchase the car in another EU country.

If you are planning on bringing a classic car into Spain, you will need a special ITV and a translation of the documents into Spanish. You will also have to have a certificate of authenticity and a photocopy of the car's history.

In order to bring a car into Spain, you must own a property there or be a permanent resident. You must also have a valid Spanish driving licence. If you plan on using your car, it must be insured in the country of registration.

Registration tax

Whether you're coming from another EU country or a non-EU country, there are some steps you must follow in order to import your car into Spain and pay the appropriate registration tax. The process involves a lot of paperwork and customs charges. A tax advisor can help you meet the requirements.

The first step is to secure a vehicle registration in Spain. This is done through the Directorate General for Traffic (Dirección General de Tráfico). The process can take up to six weeks but it can also be done at the border if necessary. If you're importing a car from another EU country, you must have it registered with European plates. You can do this by requesting a temporary number plate. This will protect you from legal action.

If you're not an EU citizen, you must have your foreign-registered car inscribed with a unique certificate. The certificate must be issued by the local traffic department. If your car is currently registered in another EU country, you must have a mechanic's report drawn up.

You will have to complete an application form, which is available online, and pay the necessary taxes. The taxes you'll be charged depend on the age and technical specifications of your car. These include CO2 emissions and the market value of your vehicle.

You must then have your car pass a Technical Inspection of Vehicles, which is similar to a UK MOT. This involves submitting an original purchase receipt, a technical specification of your car, and proof of payment of the import tax. The application may be delayed a few days while the inspection is carried out. You must also provide your driving licence and prove your Spanish language skills.

If you're moving to Spain from another EU country, you can temporarily import a vehicle. However, you'll need to pay registration tax and a municipal registration tax on the car. You'll also have to pay an IVA, or Value Added Tax, on the car. Depending on the cost of other fees, the cost of the registration tax may vary.

Alternatively, you can avoid paying the taxes by using your car in Spain for only 182 days a year. If you're a full-time student from another EU country, you can use your car for up to six months without paying taxes.


Buying a car in Spain can be expensive and complicated, particularly if you are importing it from a non-EU country. You should be aware of the costs involved before you make your purchase. There are a few things you can do to keep the costs down.

First, if you are planning to import your vehicle from a foreign country, you should contact a gestor. These are professional administrators who can help you with the process. They can be found in the area near the port and will charge a fee depending on the type of vehicle you are importing.

Next, you will need to pay import duties and taxes on your new or used vehicle. These are based on the value of your car and can be found on the vehicle's documentation. You will also have to pay a special registration tax on your imported vehicle. The amount of the tax is based on the average market value of your car, CO2 emissions, and your country of origin.

Finally, you may have to register your vehicle in Spain. You will need to register the car within 30 days of its arrival. Your car will need to have Spanish number plates and you must change the plates within 30 days of arriving.

The cost of importing a car from an EU country into Spain can vary greatly depending on the vehicle's age, model, and location. You can use online calculators to estimate the costs. You will also have to pay customs charges, taxes, and roadworthiness inspection fees.

When you import your vehicle from a non-EU country, you will have to pay the Single Administrative Document (SAD) and Property Transfer Tax on your new or second-hand vehicle and 21 percent VAT.

Buying a car in Spain can be confusing, especially if you do not know the rules and regulations. However, if you are careful and obey the laws, you can enjoy the benefits of an imported car. If you want to have the best experience possible, you should only import a new or used vehicle that has not been modified.